Internet Trash

Why "Internet Trash"? When I couldn’t remember the name of the blog I started a year ago my sweetheart said, “You just leave your Internet Trash all over the place, don’t ya?”

As for the address WITAD, well this is one of my very favourite phrases. “What Is This Arsehole Doing?”

Both seem fit to describe what I might put on this site.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

So much more

You know when you are a part of something that is going to be not at all what you expected? That’s what my weekend was like. This weekend was supposed to be the weekend that we had a garage sale in support of Shona and her family. And while the garage sale did happen, so much more happened. I travelled back in time, I healed part of myself and I was once again humbled by humanity.

On Friday I came by Shona’s with some dear friends to drop off some items for the garage sale. OH. MY. GOD. There was so much stuff!!! We had three garages full of items for the garage sale. Saturday was wonderful. We had a steady stream of buyers and well-wishers for Shona. We raised just over $2500 for Shona and her family. I can’t even begin to put into words how amazing it was to see people open their hearts to Shona’s family. To be in the middle of all this love was the kind of day you remember forever.

Getting to be a part of Shona’s journey is sometimes selfish for me. I can look back now and be amazed at my mom. Through different eyes, I can see now just how courageous she was. But when I was in the middle of it, I could only curse her for not going up and down the stairs every day. I could only lose my patience after trying for the 20th time that morning to get her to drink a glass of water. I could only cry in my bed a night wondering how was I going to take care of a tiny baby, take care of my mother and stay married to my sweetheart.

But now, I can see that it took courage to smile everyday. It took courage to delight in a friend’s phone call. It took courage to eat the some time inedible dinners I threw together. :) It took courage to look in my eyes and rub my belly and tell me my “baby was a girl because I was going to need a girl.” It took courage to delight in every twitch of my belly and every ultrasound picture I plastered on the fridge. All the while knowing that she may not live to see this baby in my arms.

I know this took courage because I know Shona. She is such an amazing woman. I lie in that same bed and moan about Jaimie and I losing our jobs, and then I think of Shona. She too is worried about bringing money into her house. But she is fighting for her life. She is a single mom. She doesn’t lay her head against a warm chest every night and have someone say “everything will be alright.” She is courageous. Sometimes it is just courageous to wake up in the morning and eek out a smile.

I love being a part of Shona’s life. I love her warmth. I love her humour. I love her heart. I love her fight. I love her courage. But most of all, I love that she is going to kick the shit out of this cancer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home